Members hui for the ANZASW Submission on the Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988

When:  May 15, 2024 from 12:00 to 13:00 (NZST)

Te Aka Matua o te Ture I Law Commission has released their second issues paper on adult decision-making for consultation. 

This paper focuses on the Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988

Back in 2022, in response to their first paper, ANZASW raised some issues relevant to the PPPR Act in social work practice. We are aware that application of the PPPR Act has become an ever-growing area of practice for social workers in health and community services, fraught with complexities, and there may be different issues now to what we identified then. 

We would love to talk to those of you whose mahi is in this space.

We want to hear your views about how the Act could change to better ensure the rights and needs of adults with affected decision-making capacity. We also want to hear your views about social work’s potential role in legislation and how changes could improve practice. 

What will we do with your views? 

We’ll collate these views into an ANZASW submission to Te Aka Matua o te Ture I Law Commission.

Te Aka Matua o te Ture I Law Commission is an independent from government, publicly funded, central advisory body with the mandate to undertake systematic review, reform and development of the law of Aotearoa New Zealand. The intent of these issues papers and consultations is to eventually make recommendations to the Government on adult decision-making capacity legislation changes. 

How can I share my views with ANZASW? 

Please attend our members hui: 

Wednesday 15 May 12 - 1pm (register via the button above)

If you are unable to attend, please feel free to email bronwynl@anzasw.nz. You can provide your views via email, or request a callback to discuss your thoughts on this. Please contact us by 15 May to ensure we have enough time to collate our submission, otherwise your views may not be incorporated. 

I want to make my own submission to Te Aka Matua o te Ture I Law Commission, how can I do this? 

You can make an individual submission directly to Te Aka Matua o Te Ture I Law Commission.  

Check out the information on their website. Submissions close on 21 June 2024