Announcements

• Enhancing treaty partnerships with Tāngata Whenua: insights from Tāngata Tiriti SS professionals

Research Request: Enhancing treaty partnerships with Tāngata Whenua: insights from Tāngata Tiriti social service professionals

Research Summary:

Kia ora, my name is Shana Sygrove-Savill and I am a Massey University Masters’ student of Applied Social Work, supervised by Dr Kathryn Hay. I am conducting research for a mini thesis on the topic: how Tāngata Tiriti can be effective treaty partners to Tāngata Whenua and pursue indigenous justice within the contemporary context of social services.   If this resonates with you and you have an hour to spare, please get in touch. I am not seeking 'experts'. If you have an interest in the topic and meet the below criteria, you are welcome to participate.

Participation Criteria:

I am looking for people who are:

1. Tāngata Tiriti: ‘ people of the treaty’ - migrant settlers to Aotearoa (New Zealand).
    2. Currently employed in the social service sector. 
    3. Passionate about working in partnership with Māori.

Ko wai au? / Who am I?

I tipu mai au i Te Tau Ihu o te Waka Maui, i te rohe o Whakatū. Nā reira, ko Maungatapu te maunga, ko Mahitahi te awa, ko Ingarani, ko Kotirana, ko Aerana ngā whenua o ōku tūpuna. He tāngata tiriti au.

E mihi ana ki ngā tangata whenua o te rohe i tipu mai tēnei kākano, ko Ngāti Tama, Te Ātiawa, Ngāti Kuia, Ngāti Rārua, Ngāti Koata, Ngāti Toa Rangatira.

Ko Shana Sygrove-Savill tōku ingoa.

Kia ora, my name is Shana Sygrove-Savill. I grew up in Nelson, therefore, acknowledge in my pepeha the landmarks and iwi of the area. However, my ancestors are from England, Ireland, and Scotland therefore, I identify as a Tāngata Tiriti: a person of the treaty and I am a migrant to Aotearoa

My research:

I am currently a Massey University Masters’ student in Applied Social Work supervised by Dr Kathryn Hay. I have had the privilege of studying te reo Māori and working in a Kaupapa Māori social service and this ignited my personal passion for indigenous justice. Upon entering the field of social work, I began reflecting on how I could improve my practice in working with Māori and become a better treaty partner. This reflection led me to choose the following topic for my research report:

How Tāngata Tiriti can be effective treaty partners to Tāngata Whenua and pursue indigenous justice within the contemporary context of social services.

I have included an interview schedule to help you get a better grasp of the focus of my research. You are welcome to contact me with any questions using the details provided below or if you would like to participate in an interview.

It is expected that involvement in the project will take about one hour. This would include time for the interview and time to review the information sheet and interview transcript. Interviews can be conducted in person if the participant resides in the Nelson Tasman region; otherwise, they will be
    conducted online. The platform being used will be Microsoft Teams. This programme will also function as the transcription tool.

Kaitiakitanga / Care of Participants

You are under no obligation to accept this invitation. If you decide to participate, you have the right to:

• Decline to answer any question.
    • Withdraw from the study (any time prior to the 30 May)
    • Ask any questions about the study at any time during participation.
    • Provide information on the understanding that your name will not be used unless you give permission to the researcher.
    • Be given access to the research report after it has been examined.
    • Ask for the recorder to be turned off at any time during the interview.

It will be your decision whether you would like to identify yourself as a participant or if you prefer to keep this information confidential. I will ensure that the information you provide to me is securely stored using a password protected laptop and Onedrive, which will only be accessible to myself and my supervisor.

Once your interview is completed and the transcript checked, you will be provided with a copy and welcomed to give feedback. The interview recording will be deleted once the research report for Massey is examined.

This project has been evaluated by peer review and judged to be low risk. Consequently, it has not been reviewed by one of the University’s Human Ethics Committees. The researcher named above is responsible for the ethical conduct of this research.

If you have any concerns about the ethical conduct of this research that you want to raise with someone other than the researcher, please contact Massey University Human Ethics by email: humanethics@massey.ac.nz 

Contacts

If you have any questions regarding this research, please contact Shana Sygrove-Savill in the first instance.
    Researcher: Shana Sygrove-Savill
    Contact details: 02102608469 or shana.sygrove-savill.1@uni.massey.ac.nz 

Supervisor: Associate Professor Kathryn Hay
    Contact details: k.s.hay@massey.ac.nz 

Ngā manaakitanga,
    Shana Sygrove-Savill

Date published: 06 May 2024
    Date closes: 30 May 2025

More